Kudos to these students
Do you have a spotlight item to share with the NAU community?
- The Northern Arizona University Mock Trial Team finished 8th out of 20 teams at the American Mock Trial Association’s virtual regional competition. Team members Marcos Hernandez and Taylor Ross won awards as outstanding witness and attorney, respectively.
- Doctoral student Haley Dunleavy and professor of biological sciences Michelle Mack co-authored the article, “Long-term experimental warming and fertilization have opposing effects on ectomycorrhizal root enzyme activity and fungal community composition in Arctic tundra” published in Soil Biology and Biochemistry. The study examined how deciduous shrubs and their symbiotic fungi respond to warming temperatures.
- Junior basketball player Cameron Shelton was voted to the Big Sky Conference’s All-Big Sky First Team, the first NAU player voted to the First Team since 2015. Shelton was voted to the Preseason All-Conference Team and is the only player in the league to rank in the top 10 in all four statistical basketball categories.
- Three women’s basketball players earned All-Big Sky Honors heading into the conference tournament. Junior Regan Schenck was named to the All-Big Sky Second Team, senior Khiarica Rasheed was named to the All-Big Sky Third Team, and JJ Nakai received Honorable Mention and was honored with the Big Sky Newcomer of the Year award.
- Junior golfer Elle Kocourkova received the Big Sky Women’s Golfer of the Week award, the first of her career. This is the second time in three tournaments the NAU golf team has been awarded this honor.