Kudos to these students
Do you have a spotlight item to share with the NAU community?
- Senior tennis player Ellie Millard earned her second Big Sky Women’s Tennis Player of the Week award for this season and her career. Against Weber State, she won a 6-0 doubles match paired with sophomore Mimi Bland and followed that win by two singles victory matches with scores of 6-1 and 6-2.
- Graduate student Milad Habibi was the lead author of the article, “Integrating multi-fidelity blood flow data with reduced-order data assimilation,” co-authored by assistant professor of mechanical engineering Amirhossein Arzani and published in Fluid Dynamics. The study proposed a computationally efficient data assimilation method called reduced-order modeling Kalman filter to assist in measuring cardiovascular flows and hemodynamics.
- Anna Engle, doctoral student of astronomy and planetary science; Jennifer Hanley, collaborative campus associate of the Astrophysical Ice Lab; Steve Tegler, professor of astronomy and planetary science; Will Grundy, adjunct of the Astrophysical Ice Lab; and Gerrick Lindberg, associate professor of APMS co-authored the article, “Mapping Changes in the Methane-Ethane System When Adding Nitrogen at Titan Surface Conditions” published in the 52nd Lunar and Planetary Science Conference 2021. The study investigates the methane-ethane-nitrogen system found on Titan, Saturn’s largest moon, specifically looking at how nitrogen effects the methane-ethane system as opposed to looking at all three on a large scale.
- The Civil and Environmental Engineering Concrete Canoe student team was No. 3 in the Pacific Southwest Regional Competition and beat 15 other schools. The team was made up of civil engineering students Marie Cook, Russell Collins, Ryan Wassenberg, Kyle Julle and Scott Murphy, and led by Mark Lamer, senior lecturer in the Department of Civil Engineering, Construction Management, and Environmental Engineering.
- A trio of Lumberjack football players swept the board for the Big Sky Conference’s ROOT SPORTS Player of the Week awards. Sophomore Hendrix Johnson was named the Offensive Player of the Week, which is the second week in a row NAU has claimed that award. Senior Morgan Vest earned the title of Defensive Player of the Week and senior DJ Arnson earned the Special Teams Player of the Week award.
- Twelve Lumberjacks on the football team earned All-Big Sky Team honors. Seniors Luis Aguilar and Vest earned First Team honors. Seniors Luke Rudolph, Stacy Chukwumezie, Harrison Beemiller, along with juniors Jonas Leader, Matthew Kempton and Anthony Sweeney, earned Second Team honors. Seniors Keondre Wudtee, Carson Taylor, Tristan Vance and DJ Arnson earned Honorable Mentions.