Kudos to these students
Do you have a spotlight item to share with the NAU community?
- Women’s volleyball player Taylor Jacobsen was named the Big Sky Defensive Player of the Week for her performance against Eastern Washington and Idaho. Through her efforts, NAU was able to hold both teams to a combined .072 hitting percentage.
- Physics and astronomy senior Anna Ross published an article entitled “Simulated Direct Imaging Detection of Water Vapor for Exo-Earths,” in collaboration with faculty mentor Ty Robinson. Ross was a recipient of the Hooper Undergraduate Award, which enabled her to conduct part of the research that was published.
- Women’s tennis player Chiara Tomasetti was selected to compete with Team Germany at the 2019 Master’U BNP Paribas International Collegiate Team Competition. “I’m excited to play for my home country and to play with the people I know,” Tomasetti said. She currently holds her highest ranking in Germany at No. 47. Other countries competing include Belgium, China, France, Germany, Great Britain, Ireland, Italy and the United States.
- Women’s volleyball placed a league-high four players on the 2019 All-Big Sky Conference teams. Senior Abby Akin and junior Heaven Harris were named to the All-Big Sky First Team, while senior Sydney Lema and freshman Taylor Jacobsen were named to the All-Big Sky Second Team.
- Kai Beattie was appointed a member of the newly formed Affordable Housing Commission for the City of Flagstaff. Beattie is the only student on the group and developed her interest in this area through an internship for her civic engagement minor. She was selected for a Hooper Undergraduate Research Award to investigate affordable housing policies in cities facing similar issues to Flagstaff.
- Seven members of the NAU football team were named to the All-Big Sky football teams announced in November. Senior offensive lineman Cole Habib, senior defensive back Khalil Dorsey, place kicker Luis Aguilar and punter DJ Arnson earned first-team all-conference honors, while senior quarterback Case Cookus, sophomore wide receiver Brandon Porter and senior running back Joe Logan, who was selected as an all-purpose player, were named to the All-Big Sky second team.lo