Kudos to these faculty, staff, students and programs
Do you have a spotlight item to share with the NAU community?
E-mail your announcements to Inside@nau.edu, or use our online submission form.
- Katsuya Oi, assistant professor of sociology, recently authored an article, “Are Changes in Somatic Health Reflected Differently in Updated Self-Ratings by Big-Five Personality Traits?” This article highlights the importance of self-rated health scales and the inclination of a conscientious population to lower their self-rate when facing challenges in daily activities.
- The Department of Astronomy and Planetary Science held a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the new roll-off roof observatory facility on Oct 17. This project was funded by NAU’s Elevating Excellence proposal program hoping to expand capacity for future laboratory classes on campus.
- Rising senior Yasmin Boone was one of five 2023 Thermador scholarship recipients of its third-annual Diversity in Design Pipeline initiative. This initiative strives to support the award-winning students by offering them resources such as a yearlong mentorship program, a $10,000 scholarship, access to several interior design programs and learning opportunities throughout the year.
- University Marketing won the prestigious MarCom (Marketing and Communication) award at the International Competition for Marketing and Communication Professionals for the NAU en Español website. The award was given for its the team’s creative design and excellence in execution.
- Jersus Colmenares, associate teaching professor in the Department of Global Languages and Cultures, organized the Arizona Language Association Fall conference on Sept 23. This conference’s efforts were to promote and build inclusion and equity through world language classrooms.
- Gioia Woods, professor of humanities and chair of the Department of Comparative Cultural Studies, was an invited speaker at the Embassy of Italy in Washington, D.C., as part of an event hosted by the Italian Cultural Institute of Washington and Georgetown University to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Italo Calvino’s, an Italian writer and journalist, on Oct 19.