Kudos to these students
Do you have a spotlight item to share with the NAU community?
- The women’s basketball team earned a spot on the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) Academic Top 25 Team Honor Roll. This is the team’s first time making the list, and they earned the No. 12 spot with a cumulative GPA of 3.616. NAU was the only Big Sky Conference institution to rank this season.
- The football team earned a number of recognitions recently.
- The team was ranked No. 6 in both the Big Sky Conference Coaches and Media Preseason Polls announced July 15 during the 2019 Big Sky Football Kickoff festivities. The team received 88 points in the coaches’ poll and 302 in the media poll.
- Defensive players Khalil Dorsey and Jalen Gross were selected to the 2019 All-Big Sky Preseason Team. Dorsey has eight career picks and 129 tackles entering the fall season, while Gross had 40 stops last season and tied for the team-lead in tackles for loss.
- The women’s tennis team was awarded ITA All-Academic Team status for academic excellence. The distinction is awarded to teams who post at least a 3.2 GPA average during the academic year. Players Hanneke Lodewijks, Madi Moore, Cora-Lynn von Dungern and Adriana Sosnowska were named individual ITA Scholar-Athletes for maintaining a minimum GPA of 3.5 during the academic year and being varsity letter winners.
- The volleyball team received an American Volleyball Coaches Association Team Academic Award for the second consecutive year and eighth time in program history. To be eligible, collegiate and high schools must maintain a minimum 3.3 cumulative GPA based on players who saw time on the court. The 12 student-athletes who played during the Lumberjacks’ 2018 Big Sky Championship season posted a 3.45 GPA over the 2018-19 academic year.
- Eric Lynch, who completed a bachelor’s degree in May, was awarded a Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship worth $8,500. The award goes to outstanding first-year graduate or professional-study students. Lynch will return to NAU in the fall to pursue a master’s degree in applied communication.