Kudos to these students
Do you have a spotlight item to share with the NAU community?
- Senior Chiara Tomasetti earned her 10th career Big Sky Women’s Tennis Player of the Week award and tied the conference record for Player of the Week awards. She has also moved up to No. 44, up from No. 47, in the latest Oracle ITA Division I singles rankings.
- NAU’s men’s track and field team earned its first No. 1 ranking in the U.S. Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association indoor rankings. This ranking comes after the team’s performance at the Boston University David Hemery Valentine Invitational where Luis Grijalva, Geordie Beamish and Tyler Day registered this season’s top three fastest collegiate times in the men’s 3000-meter race. There were several outstanding performances.
- Grijalva ranked No. 1 with a time of 7:43.73.
- Beamish ranked No. 2 with a time of 7:44.67 and is in the top five for the mile with a time of 4:56.90.
- Day ranked No. 3 with a time of 7:45.70 and also owns the nation’s fastest 5000-meter race with a time of 13:16.95.
- Junior Blaise Ferro, freshman Abdihamid Nur and sophomore Ryan Raff rank No. 11, No. 12 and No. 15 respectively in the 5000-meter.
- Freshman Theo Quax ranks No. 13 nationally for the mile.
- NAU’s weight throwers are No. 7 for best event squad nationally with sophomore William Beaudry leading the group at No. 40 individually.
- Grijalva and senior Mikayla Malaspina were named the Big Sky Men’s and Women’s Track Athletes of the Week. This is Grijalva’s fourth career Athlete of the Week award and Malaspina’s second.
- Senior basketball captain Brooks DeBisschop was voted to the CoSIDA Academic All-District 8 First Team and will move on to the Academic All-America ballot. He carries a 3.97 cumulative grade point average in finance and is averaging 12.1 points, 7.8 rebounds and 2.7 assists per game.