There’s a chill in the air and the colors of the season are coming alive on campus, which must mean that Northern Arizona University’s annual Homecoming Week is almost here. Mark your calendars for Oct. 10-15.
From Tuesday’s Dedicatee Banquet honoring assistant dean of students Kevin Gemoets and Thursday’s Traditions Day to Saturday’s parade and festivities on campus, there are a host of activities leading up to the gold out football game against Idaho State. NAU faculty and staff can purchase $17 game tickets here using promo code NAUFS1 and will receive a gold out t-shirt. Sale ends at 5 p.m. Friday, Oct. 7.
Below is the Homecoming Week schedule at a glance. A complete list of events is available at nau.edu/homecoming. Events marked with * are for students only.
Tuesday, Oct. 11
Homecoming Dedicatee Banquet
6 p.m. Ashurst Auditorium
Kevin Gemoets, assistant dean of students, was selected Homecoming Dedicatee by leaders of student organizations from across campus for his dedication to providing exceptional service to the university and students. The community is invited to a public banquet in his honor. Tickets are $10 and may be purchased online or at the Central Ticket Office.
Thursday, Oct. 13
- Homecoming Traditions Day, 4-10 p.m., Central Quad
- Chili Cookoff*, 4 p.m.
- Tug-of-War Contest*, 4 p.m.
- Bonfire, Pep Rally and Mr. Lumberjack Competition 6:30 p.m.
- Student Carnival*, 4-10 p.m., parking lot P30 at the corner of University and Knoles, bring NAU student ID
- NAU Volleyball vs. Portland State, 7 p.m., Rolle Activity Center
Friday, Oct. 14
- College of Social and Behavioral Sciences Hall of Fame, 1:30 p.m., Raul H. Castro Social and Behavioral Sciences, room 110
- Homecoming Pep Rally, 5-7 p.m., Heritage Square, Downtown Flagstaff
- NAU Soccer vs. Montana, 7 p.m., Lumberjack Stadium
- Lumberjack Splash Bash*, 7-10 p.m., Aquatics and Tennis Complex
Saturday, Oct. 15
- Flannels and Flapjacks Breakfast*, 8-10 a.m., Central Quad
Students will enjoy a free pancake buffet while supplies last. Bring your NAU student ID.
- Family Fun Zone, 9 a.m. to noon, Field north of Gateway
The public is invited to enjoy games and activities for all ages.
- Café au Louie, 9-11 a.m., 1899 Bar & Grill
Join classmates and friends for a buffet-style breakfast. Cost is $10 per person. RSVP by Oct. 12 at nau.edu/Breakfast16.
- Homecoming Parade, 11 a.m., NAU campus
Starting at the corner of Knoles Drive and DuPont Avenue, his year’s Once Upon a Time at NAU theme will come to life as student-built floats, high school bands and more wind through the streets of campus during the annual parade on Homecoming Day. the parade will weave through the beautiful surroundings of NAU’s campus. Free public parking is available in the San Francisco Parking Garage. A parade route and parking map is available online.
- NAU Volleyball vs. Sacramento State, Noon, Rolle Activity Center
- 50th Anniversary of NAU Exhibit, Noon to 3 p.m., Cline Library
Visit Cline Library’s newest Special Collections and Archives exhibit to take a tour through NAU’s past and celebrate 50 years as a university.
- Tailgating and The Ponderosa, 1-4 p.m., Walkup Skydome parking lot
Enjoy tailgating during The Ponderosa featuring food, games, giveaways and fun for the whole family. Shuttle service will be available to the Skydome parking lot from the San Francisco Parking Garage following the parade.
- NAU Football vs. Idaho State, 4 p.m., Walkup Skydome
Wear your gold NAU gear and cheer on the Lumberjacks as they take on Idaho State at 4 p.m. during the Homecoming gold out game. Buy tickets online or contact the NAU Central Ticket Office at (928) 523-5661. The game is expected to sell out so buy tickets early.