May 6, 2019
Northern Arizona University will honor the graduating class of spring 2019 with ceremonies May 10-11. This semester, about 5,900 students applied to graduate.
Commencement ceremonies will open 90 minutes prior to their start time in the J. Lawrence Walkup Skydome. As with all events in the Skydome, NAU has a clear bag policy. Parking is available at multiple locations across campus, with shuttle services to and from parking lots. Other information is available at NAU’s commencement website.
Commencement ceremonies will recognize candidates for bachelor’s, masters and doctoral degrees at the following dates and times:
- College of Engineering, Informatics, and Applied Sciences
- College of the Environment, Forestry, and Natural Sciences
- College of Education
- The W. A. Franke College of Business
- College of Social & Behavioral Sciences
- NAU Online, NAU Yavapai, NAU Yuma
- College of Arts & Letters
- College of Health & Human Services
The speakers, who will receive honorary doctorates to celebrate their achievements, are:
- Richard Boals, who served in the U.S. Air Force before becoming CEO of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Arizona and continues to volunteer on multiple community boards.
- Leigh Kuwanwisiwma, a member of the Hopi Tribe and an NAU alumnus who has been central in representing the Hopi interests in national and international legal issues, government-to-government consultations, academic inquiries and community outreach.
- Kareem Neal, 2019 Arizona Teacher of the Year, a veteran special education teacher and vice president of the Phoenix Union High School District’s Black Alliance.
- Steve Sanghi, who has led Arizona-based Microchip Technology since 1990, is one of the longest-serving CEOs in the United States and has twice won Executive of the Year award by Electronic Engineering Times.
All ceremonies will be available for livestream on the NAU-TV website. The NAUgo app will have information on event times and locations, maps, parking information and more. Graduates and attendees can download it from the iTunes App Store or Android Market.
Due to a high concentration of commencement traffic, traffic pattern changes and the use of campus parking lots, please allow extra time to travel to your campus destination on Friday and Saturday. Reviewing commencement traffic routes also can help guide travel and avoid congestion.
More information about commencement is available at the NAU’s commencement website.