Northern Arizona University is hosting a virtual ceremony for the Diversity and Equity Awards to celebrate the accomplishments of individuals and groups that reflect commitment to diversity and equity across the university. The ceremony will be held at 6:30 p.m. on Nov. 10 and can be viewed on the NAU Social Channel.
The awards will be presented by the Commission on the Status of Women, Commission on Ethnic Diversity, Commission on Disability Access and Design, LGBTQIA Commission and Commission for Native Americans.
“I’m looking forward to having this chance to honor the amazing work of the NAU community,” said Samantha White, University Events coordinator. “This event is usually in spring, but due to the pandemic we had to postpone, so finding a way to honor these deserving members of the university community is exciting.”
The awards honor and recognize faculty and students for their efforts in highlighting and promoting diversity, equity and inclusion at NAU. This year, the keynote speaker is Lydia Villa-Komaroof, molecular biologist, diversity advocate and founding member of the Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science.
See below for the recipients of this year’s awards.
Commission on the Status of Women
- Faculty Award: Karen Renner, associate professor, English
- Staff Award: Melissa Griffin, director, Health Promotions
- Project Award – Gender Bias in STEM Fields: Adonna Rometo, lecturer, Biological Sciences
- Project Award – Gender Bias in STEM Fields: Molly Bechtel, graduate student, Biological Sciences
Commission on Ethnic Diversity
- Organization Award: Soul Sugar, student group
- Staff Award: Sharon Doctor, director, Indigenous Student Success
- Faculty Award: Dian Squire, assistant professor, Educational Psychology
- Faculty Award: Nancy Barron, professor, English
Commission on Disability Access and Design
- Faculty Award: Shawn Thomas, senior lecturer, Department of Teaching and Learning
- Student Award: Selena Nevel, undergraduate student, Construction Management
- Staff Award: Morgan Mason, program coordinator, Disability Resources
- Staff Award: Judy Manor, assistant director, Shuttle Services
- Student Award: Deborah Corey, doctoral student, Educational Psychology
- Staff Award: Carl Dindo, assistant director, Counseling Services
- Faculty Award: Jessi Quizar, assistant professor, Ethnic Studies
- Ally of the Year: Shelby Reid, physical therapist, Medical Services
Commission for Native Americans – Cal Seciwa Awards
- Staff Award: Simeona Beasley, Office of Indigenous Student Success
- Student Award: Kalvina Belin, graduate student, MPH-Health Promotion and Indigenous Health
- Faculty Award: Priscilla Sanderson, professor, Health Services
- Alumni Award: Tommy Lewis, Superintendent of Schools, Coconino County