Kudos to these students
Do you have a spotlight item to share with the NAU community?
- Voice students from the Northern Arizona University School of Music performed at the Arizona District National Association of Teachers of Singing (NATS) Auditions at the University of Arizona. The following students won awards in various categories – Upper Men/Women, Lower Men/Women, Advanced College/Independent Studio and Upper Advanced College Divisions: Mariana Velasco and Staci Dickens, first place; Heather Lake, second place; and Hailey Atwell, Deanna Alcala, Talen Swan, Ye Lynn Han and Ashley Martin-Casler, third place. Honorable Mentions include Amanda Matthews, Kenadee Brown, Sydney Murrel, Elizabeth Aranda, Stephanie Baker, Mackenzie Nelson, Amanda Booth, Talia Ruiz, Kaylee Berry, Sague Molina and Tanner Gill.
- Choral music education senior Shelby Matlock was named Outstanding Future Choral Educator of the Year at the Arizona Choral Educators (ACE) 2018 Arizona Music Educators Association in-service conference. Matlock is president of NAU’s student chapter of the American Choral Directors Association and a member of Shrine of Ages Choir, High Altitude, Chamber Singers, Women’s Chorale and is student conductor of University Singers.
- NAZ Today was awarded first place for Student Newscasts by the Broadcast Education Association. The winning newscast covered the Final Four, local stories and a weather forecast from student news director Cierra Shipley.
- The Northern Arizona University Symphony Orchestra was selected to perform at the 2018 College Orchestra Directors Association National Conference in Los Angeles – the first time the ensemble has been chosen to perform at a national conference. In addition, graduate instrumental conducting student Kin To “Desmond” Siu was one of three conductors invited to participate in a workshop with a live orchestra and guest clinician.
- A vocal octet from the Northern Arizona University School of Music performed the National Anthem at the Phoenix Suns home game last week. The students who performed were Katherine Rosenfeld, Marissa Barr, Amanda Booth, Samantha Isely, Theo Thomas, Eddie Vega, Dominic Smith and Avery Jones.