Kudos to these faculty, staff and students
Do you have a spotlight item to share with the NAU community?
E-mail your announcements to Inside@nau.edu, or use our online submission form.
- Wayne Fox, assistant dean and director of the Center for Business Outreach in The W.A. Franke College of Business, was recently elected Chairman of the Board of Directors of Flagstaff Medical Center. Fox also serves as the treasurer for Northern Arizona Healthcare, the parent corporation for FMC and Verde Valley Medical Center.
- Jasmine Mascarenas, physical therapy doctoral student, presented “Total Knee Arthoplasty rehabilitation focusing on a home exercise program as a primary treatment approach: a case study” at the Arizona Geriatrics Society 2014 Fall Symposium. The presentation highlighted the work Mascarenas completed during her clinical rotations.
- Six international undergraduate students took top honors for their research projects this week during the annual Arizona Pavements/Materials Conference held at Arizona State University. Civil engineering majors Fawaz Almutairi and Fahad Aloqaili won first place overall for “Evaluating Freeze-Thaw Durability of Fiber Reinforced Pervious Concrete Mixtures.” Also civil engineering majors Tassio Magassy, Tamyres Da Silva and Joao Lima took second place in the undergraduate competition for “Asphalt Mixture Beams in the Bending Beam Rheometer for Quality Control: Material Preparation, Testing Process, and Field Application.” Construction management major Kaiqi Zhang earned third place in the undergraduate competition for “Quantifying Effect of Solar Radiation and Wheel Pressure on Performance of Asphalt Pavements.” Chun-Hsing Jun Ho, assistant professor of civil engineering, construction management and environmental engineering, teaches Highway Engineering and was the technical adviser for the projects.
- NAU School of Art’s Elisa Wiedeman and Chelsea Tinklenberg were honored by the Arizona Art Education Association at the organization’s annual conference. Wiedeman was named the organization’s Outstanding Higher Education Art Educator and Tinklenberg received the Outstanding Higher Education Student of Achievement award.
- Ramona Mellott, dean of the College of Education and the Graduate College, was elected to the 2015 National Professional Science Master’s Association Board of Directors.
- NAU’s Graduate Student Government received the 2014 National Association of Graduate-Professional Students Developing Member of the Year award for outstanding service and engagement in the Western region. Seonmin Park, vice president of the Graduate Student Government, also received the 2014 Award for Excellence in Service in recognition of her role as Director of Finance on NAGPS’s Board of Directors.
- Live and recorded broadcasts from NAU’s School of Music will now be featured on KBAQ, Phoenix’s 24-hour classical music NPR station. The broadcast agreement included this week’s Shrine of the Ages Choir’s concert with organist James Christie. The April 14 choral and organ music performance also will be carried on KBAQ.