Kudos to these faculty, staff and students
Do you have a spotlight item to share with the NAU community?
- Angelina Castagno, director of Ethnic Studies, had an article titled “Rethinking School Choice: Educational Options, Control, and Sovereignty in Indian Country” published in the Journal of School Choice. The article offers an alternative way of conceptualizing school choice that is more applicable to indigenous communities and that has yet to be articulated in the literature.
Bradley Butterfield, assistant research professor and Merriam-Powell Center affiliate, had an article titled “Prestoration: Using Species in Restoration That Will Persist Now and Into the Future” published in Restoration Ecology. The article proposes a new strategy for restoring ecosystems that anticipates the impacts of global change and selects species for restoration that can thrive in future conditions.
- NAU students and staff are involved in the production of Flagstaff’s Alpine Community Theater’s “Mary Poppins: The Broadway Musical.” Undergraduate Casey Garcia is playing the role of Mary Poppins and alumna Emily Lawhead is the assistant music director and conductor for the show. Employees Lynn Jones, Benjamin Garcia, Kathy Weinzinger, Tammy Newbury and Tammy Jones have also been volunteering with the show. The theatrical production can be seen the first two weekends of June.
- NAU Archery Club placed third overall at the 2016 Intercollegiate Archery Championships held in Chula Vista, Calif. The team, led by coach Drew Ned, received three gold, three silver and one bronze medal. The team also produced eight All-Americans, two All-Academic honors and two best new archers. The following members received individual honors:
- Paeton Keller, All-American, All-Academic, Compound Men’s National Champion
- Reuben Kee, All-American, Recurve Men National Champion
- Tayler Stevens,All-American, All-Academic, Silver Women’s Bowhunter
- Kyle Jarpe, All-American, Silver Men’s Basic Bow
- Lizzy Satran, Best New Archer Women Bowhunter
- Thomas Sullivan, All-American, Best New Archer Basic Bow
- Samantha Yessilth, All-American
- David McNealy, All-American
- Austin Wimsatt, All-American