Kudos to these faculty, staff and students
Do you have a spotlight item to share with the NAU community?
- Laura Gray-Rosendale’s College Girl: A Memoir was named a finalist for the 2014 May Sarton Award for Memoir. Gray-Rosendale is a professor of English and President’s Distinguished Teaching Fellow at NAU.
- Laura Umphrey, associate professor for the School of Communication, along with Joanne Cacciatore, assistant professor in the School of Social Work at Arizona State University, co-authored an article for the Journal of Relationships Research, titled “Love and Death: Relational Metaphors Following the Death of a Child.”
- Dennis C. Tanner and William R. Culbertson, professors of health sciences, published “Avoiding Negative Dysphagia Outcomes” in the Online Journal of Issues in Nursing.
- The Northern Arizona University dance team took home top hip hop honors at the Universal Dance Association College Dance Team National Championships in Anaheim. The team, pictured at right, finished first in the World University hip hop category and also placed third in jazz. Watch the winning routine here.
- The University of Washington Press, as part of its New Directions in Scandinavian Studies series, recently published a book, titled Church Resistance to Nazism in Norway, 1940-1945, authored by Arne Hassing, professor emeritus of religious studies in the Department of Comparative Cultural Studies.
- Nine students participated in the Arizona Student Energy Conference at Arizona State University April 1-2. Devon Martindale, mechanical engineering major, and Kelsey Morales, environmental sciences major, earned a distinguished poster award during the conference. Other participants who presented at the conference were: Robert Douglass, political science and international affairs major; Dominique Bain and Indra Teuku, doctoral candidates in earth sciences and environmental sustainability; Ana Dyreson and Samuel Monger, engineering graduate students; Cara Corbin, graduate student in sustainable communities; and Eric Morgan, post-doctoral researcher. Tom Acker, mechanical engineering professor and director of the Institute for Sustainable Energy Solutions, and Karin Wadsack, ISES project director, attended as faculty advisers. NAU will host the conference in 2015.
- Journalism major Emani Payne interviewed Amy Goodman, host of Democracy Now, during her recent visit to campus. Goodman praised the Student Media Center in the School of Communication and the high level of production involving students. Watch the interview here.