Seasoned black beans are warm, hearty and versatile. Use the ingredients below to add flavor to any low-sodium canned beans, or add them as you cook from dried beans. Really short on time? The quick version for those evenings is to have a few cans of Bush’s Seasoned Recipe Black Beans.
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- ½ large onion, minced
- 2 tomatoes, minced or diced
- 1 jalapeño, minced (optional; seeds and veins removed if you don’t want it spicy)
- 1 tsp. minced garlic (about 2 cloves)
- ½ tsp. ground cumin
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 15oz. can black beans (no salt preferred)
- 1 tbsp. lime juice (about the amount of juice in 1/2 lime)
- salt, to taste
- taco shells
- chopped greens – lettuce or baby spinach
- Optional: taco sauce, Trappey’s Hot Peppers in Vinegar for a little kick, and chopped cilantro for garnish. Add a little vegan sour cream if you like.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees for the taco shells.
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, half of the diced tomatoes, jalapeño, and spices. Stir and sauté for five minutes, until onions have softened and become translucent. During this time, warm the taco shells in the oven for 5-7 minutes.
Add the undrained black beans, stir and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice and salt.
Assemble your tacos. Place black beans in the bottom and then add your greens and the remaining diced tomatoes.
Add optional taco sauce, vinegar, and chopped cilantro and serve.