The LEADS Center is encouraging faculty and staff to recognize students, staff or departments for their contributions to the NAU community by nominating individuals for awards to be presented at the annual convocation ceremonies.
The events will celebrate diversity at Northern Arizona University by honoring graduates in six separate ceremonies. The convocations combine award ceremonies with cultural rites. Family and friends are encouraged to attend, and receptions will follow all ceremonies.
Nominations for Hispanic Convocation Awards are due Monday, April 20. Completed nomination forms for the awards can be sent to Davida Delmar at Davida.Delmar@nau.edu.
- Cesar Chavez Award: Recognizes students with strong leadership skills, a demonstrated care and concern for fellow students and a history of involvement on behalf of the Hispanic community.
- Sor Juana Inés de la Cruz Award: Recognizes students with demonstrated leadership abilities, strong attachments to their cultural heritage, and demonstrated advocacy regarding women’s rights.
- Gabriela Mistral Award: Recognizes students with a strong commitment to education and to promoting multicultural understanding
- Outstanding Hispanic Graduate Student: Recognizes a graduate student that serves as a positive role model for the fellow undergraduate colleagues; with strong leadership skills, demonstrated care and concern for fellow students, a history of involvement on behalf of the Hispanic community.
Nominations for Black Convocation Awards are due Thursday, April 30. Completed nomination forms and letters of support can be sent to Bernadine Lewis at Bernadine.Lewis@nau.edu.
- Theodore “Ted” Johnson Outstanding Student Award: Recognizes faculty, staff or departments that demonstrate involvement, support and commitment to the black programs and/or students.
- Anthony “Tony” Ross Award of Recognition of Faculty/Staff/Department: Recognizes students for academic accomplishments, involvement with community and extracurricular activities and demonstrated career goals and ambitions.