The Native American Cultural Center (NACC) has provided a home and support system for Indigenous students at NAU for the past decade. The university’s desire to continue serving Native American communities has brought more than 1,500 students from over 115 tribes to NAU.
Every November, the NACC joins with the Office of Indigenous Student Success (OISS) to celebrate Native American Heritage Month alongside Native American, Alaska Native, Native Hawaiian, First Nation and Aboriginal students who have found their new home at NAU. Located near the Navajo and Hopi reservations, NAU offers a variety of events to help students, staff and faculty celebrate and foster awareness of Indigenous cultures and contributions.
All events will take place in the Gathering Room in the NACC unless otherwise noted. Details can be found on the NACC event page.
- Celebrating Foods of Native Americans: Nov. 1-5
Lunch will be served in the Hot Spot.Dinner will be served in the DüB.
- Elders Program Storytellers Series featuring Paul Long: Nov. 4, 12-1:30 p.m.
- Indigenous Visit Day: Nov. 5, Flagstaff Mountain Campus
Campus tour for high school students to learn more about NAU.
- Indigenizing Education Series: Nov. 8, 6-7 p.m.
Jani Ingram discusses indigenizing education.
- Cultural Stressbuster: Jewelry Making: Nov. 9, 2-5 p.m.
- Indigenizing Education Series: Nov. 15, 6-7 p.m.
Indigenous staff discuss indigenizing education.
- Elders Spotlight Lecture featuring Lorenzo Max: Nov. 16, 5-6:30 p.m.
- Virtual NAU-TEN Coffee Break: Nov. 19, 9:30-10:30 a.m.
NAU Alumni Association is partnering with ONAI to discuss Native American Heritage month, resources available to students, how alumni can support and more. Register online.
- Indigenizing Education Series: Nov. 22, 6-7 p.m.
Indigenous faculty discuss indigenizing education.
- Cultural Stressbuster: Leather Working with Eugene Begay: Nov. 29, 2-5 p.m.
- Indigenous Agents of Change Series featuring the Well for Culture podcast team: Nov. 30, 5-7 p.m.
Did you know NAU recently released a new campaign around our Native American outreach? View and download marketing deliverables and engage on social media with digital gifs.