Kudos to these faculty, staff, students and programs
Do you have a spotlight item to share with the NAU community?
- Northern Arizona University was recognized for five MarCom awards, including one platinum, two gold and two honorable mentions. MarCom is one of the oldest, largest and most respected creative competitions in the world. Winners are selected from more than 300 categories in print, web, videos and strategic communications. Winning a MarCom award is a highly sought-after peer recognition from the creative industry.
- Platinum Award: NAU Football Poster | Print Media, Advertising and Poster
- Gold Award: NAU Volleyball Banner | Print Media, Advertising and Banner/Sign
- Gold Award: NAU Summer Camp Promotional Items | Strategic Communications, Marketing/Promotional Campaign and Promotion/Marketing Materials
- Honorable Mention: CIE Viewbook | Print Media, Brochure and Viewbook
- Honorable Mention: Photography Professors Compete with Children’s Camera | Digital Media, Web Video and YouTube Video
- Northern Arizona University is a 2022 ALL IN Most Engaged Campus for College Student Voting. ALL IN’s Most Engaged Campuses for College Student Voting recognizes colleges and universities making intentional efforts to increase nonpartisan democratic engagement and college student voting.
- Professor David Charles Miles, affiliated with The W.A. Franke College of Business and School of Hotel and Restaurant Management, was featured as an expert in the article, “6 Best Delta Credit Cards (2022).” In his section of the article, Miles provides insights for anyone considering these credit card options.
- Jut Wynne, assistant research professor for the Department of Biological Sciences and Center for Adaptable Western Landscapes, has a new book entitled “Cave Biodiversity: Speciation and Diversity of Subterranean Animals,” published by John Hopkins University Press. This book is a deep– dive into the evolutionary biology, biogeography and conservation of the most elusive subterranean creatures in the world.
- Northern Arizona University made the 2023 PRNEWS Education A-List. The Education A-List recognizes the best institutions of higher education for career advancement in PR and marketing communications.
- On Nov. 10, the Department of Dental Hygiene hosted its semi–annual Kiddie Clinic, sponsored by Delta Dental. This clinic increases accessibility to important health care services by providing no-cost dental exams, cleanings, X-rays, sealants and fluoride to children ages 2-12 and gives dental hygiene students important hands-on experience. The clinic served 64 children from throughout Flagstaff and the surrounding areas. The theme was “A Day at the Farm,” and the children enjoyed themed décor, smile-friendly treats and face painting. As one mom said, “This event raises the bar for going to the dentist.” The next Kiddie Clinic will be held in the spring. The NAU Dental Hygiene Clinic is open regularly to adults. If you or someone you know is seeking affordable dental care, call (928) 523-7147 for an appointment.
- Kevin Gurney, a data scientist in the School of Informatics, Computing, and Cyber Systems, was in Egypt Nov. 7-18 to participate in COP 27, an international climate conference led by the United Nations. Climate scientists and government leaders from most of the world’s countries attended to discuss the critical climate issues facing the world today. Gurney studies greenhouse gas emissions in urban areas; recent research has focused on the notable difference in emissions during pandemic lockdowns, when people, especially those in cities, dramatically curtailed their driving.