Kudos to these faculty, staff and students
Do you have a spotlight item to share with the NAU community?
E-mail your announcements to Inside@nau.edu.
- Ramona Mellott, dean of the Graduate College, has been elected to a one-year term on the board of directors for the Council of Graduate Schools.
- Martin D. Sommerness, professor of journalism, co-wrote “Individualize Your Pre-Law Advising with Gallup’s Clifton StrengthsFinder,” which was published in the fall issue of WAPLA Notes, the publication of the Western Association of Pre-Law Advisers. The co-author of the article was Jacki Miskimins, director of the Center for Talent Development at Dakota Wesleyan University.
- Mary I. Dereshiwsky, professor of educational leadership, presented “Strategies for Effectively Mentoring Prospective Online Faculty” and “How Mentoring Online Faculty Helps You as the Mentor” at the Peer Mentoring Online Conference sponsored by the Learning Resources Network last month. She also served as moderator of the conference.
- The College of Health and Human Services received a $213,000 Scholarship for Disadvantage Students grant from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The funds were used to award scholarships to 99 students from educationally or environmentally disadvantaged backgrounds. This is the seventh year the dental hygiene department has received the grant and the fourth year for the college.
- A group of representatives from Northern Arizona University recently went to China to celebrate the 60th anniversary of Xi’an Shiyou University, one of NAU’s 1+2+1 Dual Degree Program partners. The group hosted a dinner for friends and colleagues from that school as well as from NAU’s partner institutions Xi’an University of Science and Technology (XUST) and Xi’an International Studies University (XISU). Pictured from left to right: Shen Jiawei, XUST coordinator of 1+2+1 program and director of the Liaison Department of the International Exchange Center, and her husband Wang Lin; Shen Haijun and her husband Xu Xingye, director of XUST International Exchange Center; Liu Jinxuan, professor from XUST College of Science and 2009 visiting scholar to NAU, and her husband Chai Jing, director of Discipline Construction for XUST; NAU Provost Liz Grobsmith; Wu Yaowu: director of XISU’s School of International Programs; NAU vice provost Harvey Charles; Mindy Wu, Wu Yaowo’s wife; Li Bing, director of XISU’s International Cooperation and Exchange Office; and Daniel Palm, program director for NAU’s Center for International Education.