Kudos to these faculty, staff and students
Do you have a spotlight item to share with the NAU community?
- Kira Russo, communication instructor, and Zachary Smith, Regents’ professor of politics and international affairs, appeared on the Arizona Horizon news show on June 11. The duo discussed sustainability issues and their book What is Water Worth.
- Bill Carter, assistant professor of practice in the School of Communication, met with U2 frontman Bono to discuss ongoing projects during U2’s concert in Phoenix on May 22. Carter has previously collaborated with Bono to bring war zone reporting to U2 concerts via live satellite link-ups. Bono also wrote a song for Carter’s documentary film Miss Sarajevo.
- Martin D. Sommerness, professor of journalism, completed the Leadership Academy of the Professional Fraternity Association in Atlanta.
- Tom Sisk, Olajos-Goslow Chair of Environmental Science and Policy at NAU, and more than 100 prominent scientists from across North America, including climate scientists, economists, geophysicists and biologists, released a consensus statement earlier this week entitled “Ten Reasons for a Moratorium” that discusses why Canada and the United States should postpone new oil sands development. The statement provides an up-to-date review of climate science, carbon economics and biodiversity conservation and is a follow-up to a comment published in Nature last year in which Sisk was a co-author. Read more.
- Tom Yazzie, grounds crew chief for Housing and Residence Life, recently repurposed NAU’s stone trashcans and cigarette holders into planters for summer landscaping. The planters can be seen near Sechrist and Allen halls with more to be added over the summer. The trashcans were replaced by Big Belly compacting waste and recycling stations.