Teacher of the Year awards
Honorees are selected by their colleges for contributions to high-quality teaching and college-specific achievements. Honorees receive a $1,000 faculty development fund and are eligible for an additional two years of faculty development funds through membership in the NAU Teaching Academy. The Teaching Academy supports new collaborations, is an important voice in shaping discussion around our commitment to teaching excellence and student success and helps the campus benefit more broadly from the insights of NAU’s extraordinary teachers.
- Sheri Mleynek, College of Arts and Letters
- Gretchen McAllister, College of Education
- Louis Cirelli, College of Engineering, Informatics, and Applied Sciences
- Christopher Sthultz, College of the Environment, Forestry, and Natural Sciences
- Ian McLeod, College of Health and Human Sciences
- Aaron Divine, College of Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Miriam Espinoza, NAU Yuma
- Emy Tice, The W. A. Franke College of Business
Award for Excellence in Global Learning
A team from three departments in the College of Education was instrumental in launching and supporting students from Tianhua university for the curriculum and instruction Ph.D. program.
- Gretchen McAllister
- Marti Canipe
- Patty Horn
- Caroline Black
- Pamela Powell
- Shadow Armfield
- Vicki Ross
- Chih-Hsiung Tu
- Sara Abercrombie
- Louise Lockard
- Victoria (Tori) Damjanovic
Honorable mention: Members of the Visiting International Psychological Scholar’s Program, which has supported three Ukrainian students into the psychological sciences master’s program.
Faculty Excellence in Teaching and Learning
- Christopher Sthultz, College of Environment, Forestry and Natural Sciences
Award for Excellence in Service & Leadership
- Gina Nabours and Sarah Watson for their Math 108 algebra project for precalculus, which raised the pass rate for students by 20 percent, from a 50-70% pass rate.
- Honorable mention: Luis Fernandez, chair of the Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice and HSI Advisor to the Provost, for the many HSI initiatives he has led this year
President’s Distinguished Teaching Fellows
Faculty who are designated as Teaching Fellows are scholarly teachers whose work represents the highest levels of excellence and whose pedagogical expertise has a positive impact at NAU and beyond. Teaching Fellows are selected each year through a rigorous nomination process, which includes the creation and submission of an extensive teaching portfolio.
- Marti Canipe, associate professor, elementary science education
- Debra Edgerton, assistant professor, School of Art