Recipes by Cassie Luke, director of Campus Living
Chocolate Chunk Oatmeal Cookie Bars
- 225 g (2.5 cups) oats
- 260 g (2 cups + 2 Tbsp) all-purpose flour
- 200 g (1 cup) brown sugar (Sprouts brand is vegan)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 224 g (1 cup coconut oil, soft or melted)
- ½ cup pumpkin OR replacement for 2 eggs (I like Ener-G Egg Replacer)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz dark chocolate, chopped into chunks
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Oil a 7×11 inch baking dish.
Using a mixer, add the oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking soda, salt, melted coconut oil, egg replacement and vanilla and beat until combined and the dough holds together. The dough will seem oily, this is fine. Mix in the dark chocolate chunks.
Turn half the batter out into prepared pan, pushing the dough into pan.
Bake for 8-10 minutes in convection oven. Do not over-bake (they become crumbly then rather than fudge-y. Allow bars to cool in pan for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
While you can make these into drop cookies, they don’t hold their moisture as well that way. Bars are better.
Apple Cinnamon Scones
- 270 g (2 ¼ cup) flour
- 60 g (1/3 cup) granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup unsalted vegan butter, cold and cut into tablespoon chunks (I like Earth Balance stick butter)
- ½ cup canned coconut milk (more if dough is dry)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup apple, cut into small bites
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Combine dry ingredients in a food processor. Add in butter and pulse until all the butter is in small crumbs.
Transfer dry butter mixture to a bowl. Add in diced apple and stir until the fruit is coated with the dry mixture.
Add in coconut milk and vanilla extract just until blended. The dough should hold shape. Add a little more coconut milk if they are crumbly. Try not to overwork dough.
Use a cookie or ice cream scoop to drop the dough onto parchment paper-lined cookie sheet.
Quickly mix together the ¼ cup granulated sugar and the 1 tsp cinnamon. Sprinkle outside of the scones with the sugar-cinnamon mixture.
Bake for 12-15 minutes in convection oven.