Kudos to these students
Do you have a spotlight item to share with the NAU community?
- NAU track and field athletes Brooke Andersen, Matt Baxter and Ashley Taylor earned Big Sky Conference Athlete of the Week honors. At meets last weekend, Andersen rose to No. 2 in the nation in the hammer throw, Baxter ran the fastest men’s 5000-meter race in the meet’s history and Taylor, in her outdoor track debut, ran the second-fastest 800-meter dash in NAU history.
- Japanese minor Lai Yan Lam won the grand prize at the 29thAnnual Arizona Japanese Speech Contest on April 8, the first NAU student to do so. Lam received $300 in prizes, a round trip ticket to Japan and a rail pass.
- Jonathan Witherspoon was commissioned as a second lieutenant from Air Force ROTC Detachment 027 at NAU. He is one of only a few members of the Navajo Nation to receive a commission to the U.S. Air Force.
- Nineteen NAU students have completed their internships through the NAU/NASA Space Grant Undergraduate Research Internship Program; Darrien Benally, Amanda Binkley, Holly Buban, Nikki Cain, Tyler Dawson, Eric Duong, Sam Ebright, Emily Grams, Rachel Huchmala, Melissa Jacquez, Janus Kozdon, Kyle Lindstrom, Bray Moll, Jenna Norris, Hannah Rentschler, Tanner Rosenberg, Georgia Ross, Joseph Sweet and Colin Towne. These students presented their results at the Arizona Space Grant Consortium’s 27th Statewide Symposium in Tucson earlier this month.
- A contingent of students from the Pathogen and Microbiome Institute represented NAU at the Arizona-Nevada branch meeting of the American Society of Microbiologists. Rebekah Turner, Victor Jimenez, Amalee Nunnally, Shelby Hutton, Ryan Moreno, and Mimi Mbegbu all won awards for their research.
- Blanca Acosta, Jennifer Parada and Valeriia Bogorevich were the winners of the 2018 Outstanding Graduate Teaching Assistantship awards. The winners were chosen from 15 nominations across 12 graduate programs, and each earned a $1,000 award.