Haeger names task force on athletic facilities
President John Haeger has appointed a 25-member task force to assess current and future athletic facilities on campus.
The Presidential Task Force on Athletic Facilities, which is chaired by Mason Gerety, dean of The W.A. Franke College of Business, will have its first meeting Aug. 15. The task force will submit an initial report to the president in December.
“Our current facilities are old and many are in need of substantial renovation,” said Haeger. “The university and Flagstaff communities need to know whether our athletic facilities are suitable now and in the future for our student athletes, faculty and staff and for the many community events that are held in these venues.”
Haeger said the task force will look into funding models for new and renovated facilities, including the potential for a basketball arena and performance center.
“This is an effort that will require resources from the university, the community and the state,” he noted.
The facilities to be evaluated include, Rolle Activity Center, the Walkup Skydome, Lumberjack Stadium, outdoor fields and the Wall Aquatic Center.
Presidential Task Force on Athletic Facilities Members:
- Mason Gerety, Task Force Chair and Dean, NAU W.A. Franke College of Business
- Merrill Abeshaus, Orthopedic Surgeon, retired
- Cindy Anderson, Associate Director, NAU Residence Life
- Chris Bavasi, Executive Director, Office of Navajo and Hopi Indian Relocation
- Sarah Bickel, Associate Vice President, NAU Student Affairs
- Rich Bowen, NAU Associate Vice President, Economic Development
- Dave Brown, Manager, NAU Walkup Skydome
- Ernest Calderón, Vice President, Arizona Board of Regents
- Jim Fallis, Director, NAU Athletics
- John Holmes, Interim City Manager, City of Flagstaff
- Steve Jackson, Owner/Broker, Coldwell Banker Narico
- Kelly Kasprzyk, ReMax Peak Properties
- Debra Larson, Chair, NAU Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Sam McClanahan, NAU Professor, retired
- Ron Minegar, Executive Vice President/Chief Business Officer, Arizona Cardinals
- Linn Montgomery, Professor, NAU Biological Sciences
- William Morrison, President and CEO, Benefit & Financial Strategies LLC
- Molly Munger, Director, NAU Community Relations
- Kimberly Ott, Public Information Officer, City of Flagstaff
- Julie Pastrick, President/CEO, Flagstaff Chamber of Commerce
- Megan Porter, NAU Athletics (former student athlete)
- Tom Rogers, Chair, NAU Construction Management
- Gary Seley, Owner, Flagstaff Honda
- Tom Wahl, President, Associated Students of NAU
- Molly Williams, Vice President, University Advancement