NAU News encourages engagement on the articles, blogs and topics presented on these pages. We want to hear from faculty, staff, students, alumni and friends.
The conversation into which we invite our readers has its limits. Our editors moderate it, using their judgment—and participation in it carries with it some responsibility.
Commenters should understand that NAU News reviews every comment prior to publication. Comments will appear first in draft form only on the screen of the person who has submitted a comment. Other readers will not be able to view a comment until an editor has approved it. This may result in delays in when comments universally appear. NAU News reserves the right to edit comments in ways that do not alter the overall meaning of a comment.
Currently, you don’t have to use your real name and affiliation to NAU to submit a comment, but we would prefer it. Readers typically want to know who is commenting, and we believe using your real identity results in a more civil environment of respectful discourse.
Please note that this site is not a public forum. Following are the standards to which NAU News holds comments (and by extension commenters) on the site:
- They must not engage in libel.
- They must not engage in personal attacks. We hope to see healthy dialog, but posts containing personal attacks, profanity, nudity, hate speech or illegal material are prohibited. If you disagree with an opinion expressed in an article or in another comment, feel free to respectfully challenge that opinion in your own comment. But commenters who resort to name-calling or otherwise uncivil exchanges against others will be warned and, if the behavior continues, blocked from participating. We reserve the right, at our discretion, to remove any comment.
- Comments may contain links to articles that back up their points. But commenters may not paste entire copyrighted articles into a comment.
- They must pertain to the subject (or subjects) discussed in the article, column or blog post.
- They must not contain spam, commercially promotional material, or self-promotional links.
The opinions expressed in readers’ comments are not necessarily shared by NAU News or the university. We cannot guarantee the accuracy of claims or opinions readers express in their comments.