Flinn Scholarship winners Benjamin Trumpinski and Nicole Bratsh know a thing or two about working hard to reach the top. And this fall, they will climb a little higher on their educational journey, making Northern Arizona University their new home.
Both students received the Flinn Scholar award, a scholarship program offered to outstanding Arizona high school students on the condition that they attend one of the state’s three public universities: Northern Arizona University, Arizona State University or the University of Arizona.
Flinn scholars are chosen based on merit, evaluating not only student’s academic achievement, leadership and involvement, but also service to the community, ability to communicate and personal characteristics.
Recipients receive more than $115,000 to use toward tuition, room and board and study abroad expenses. In addition, scholars receive mentorship from top faculty and exposure to local and world leaders.
Cienega High School, Vail
- AP Scholar with Distinction
- Marching band section leader and band council representative
- Eagle Scout, senior patrol leader
- Recipient, Trico Electric Scholarship
- Silver Congressional Medalist
- Student leader, Vail Christian Church
- Owner, Trumpinski Vending
- Track and field
- Mission trip, Honduras
- 2015 Flinn Scholar, transferring from ASU to NAU in fall 2016
Blue Ridge High School, Pinetop-Lakeside
- Rotary Club Student of the Month
- White Mountain Barbershop Music Scholar of the Year
- HELPS International mission trip
- Representative, Hugh O’Brian Youth Leadership
- Team captain, varsity soccer
- Honors Orchestra
- Student representative, Blue Ridge Site Council
- President, National Honor Society
- Volunteer violin teacher
- 2016 Flinn Scholar