Kudos to these faculty, staff and programs
Do you have a spotlight item to share with the NAU community?
- Associate professor of mechanical engineering Brent Nelson will give an invited talk on April 25 at the University of Oregon as part of a public lecture series on engaging in science policy. “Barriers to Energy Transitions: How Captain Planet Ruined a Generation (sort of)” will focus on energy policy and energy transitions.
- Senior lecturer in politics and international affairs Paul Lenze gave an invited book talk at the University of Quebéc-Montréal where he is a faculty affiliate of the Chaire Raoul- Dandurand. The talk focused on his most recent book “Syrian Forced Migration and Public Health in the European Union,” which examines the breakdown of public health infrastructures and spread of infectious diseases in countries affected by armed conflict.
- School of Communication professor Martin Sommerness and assistant professor of practice Amy Hitt presented “Helping Students Choose a Major” at the annual Arizona Transfer Summit at Fort McDowell.
- Northern Arizona University’s main Instagram account was included on uniRank’s 2019 list of the top 200 most popular university accounts in the world. More than 5,000 official university Instagram accounts were analyzed based on number of followers.
- Lecturer of comparative cultural studies Tara Kohn was recognized by National Portrait Gallery during their 50th anniversary. She received an honorable mention in the Director’s Essay prize category for “Along the Fringes of 291 Fifth Avenue.” The award supports the work of scholars in the field of visual biography and American portraiture.
- The Showcase of Strategies for Student Success was held April 9. The event was attended by more than 200 guests and presenters and included 33 posters, 99 poster presenters and co-presenters, 104 guests and attendees, 13 judges and 41 participating programs, committees, offices and departments. A number of faculty were named winners in two categories:
- Judges’ Choice Winners
- Betsy Buford, Samantha Clifford, Ken Grett and Jeanette Roe, e-Learning Center: Maximizing Student Success with BbLearn.
- Precilla Cox and Joseph Wright, Gateway Student Success Center: Empowering Students Through the Power of the Internet
- People’s Choice Winners
- Maggie Thom, Mak Smith, Caleb Williams, Carlie Schimmel, Brant Ziemba, Tamara Lee, Sarah Graf and Theo Trotman, Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid & EMSA Analytics & Assessment: Financial Aid Verification
- Melissa Griffin and Mikaela Terry, Education Abroad, Center for International Education, Health Promotion & Campus Health Services: Health and Safety Abroad: It’s a Jungle Out There.
- Judges’ Choice Winners