Kudos to these students
Do you have a spotlight item to share with the NAU community?
- Three NAU construction management student teams competed at the American School of Construction’s 2021 Student Competition and Construction Management Conference.
- Students on the Commercial team were Armando Maldonado (team captain), Anthony Ojeda, Cameron Baird, Charlie Register, Jacob Dunn and Tristan Clark. They were led by faculty adviser Agnes Drogi, professor of practice in the Department of Civil Engineering, Construction Management, and Environmental Engineering (CECMEE).
- The Design-Build team of Angela Esparza (team captain), Arianna Charles, Daniel Otradovec, Dee Cichocki, Elijah Contreras and Shaun McClure won third place. Their faculty adviser was Alan Francis, associate professor of practice in CECMEE.
- The Heavy-Civil team of Tanner Hunt (team captain), Brieanna Jacobson, Graiden Kreger, Parker Braaten, Remington Brown and Ryan Broyles also won third place. Their faculty adviser was Kaikea Kaoni, assistant professor of CECMEE.
- The Northern Arizona University Association for Information Systems (AIS) Student Chapter was awarded the Outstanding Community Service award by AIS. The award recognizes chapters that have made a major contribution to their local community. The officer team of the NAU chapter is Ayden Pulido, Dalton Arford, Shelby Lax, Michael Quast and Austin Adams led by faculty adviser David Weber, a senior lecturer in the W. A. Franke College of Business.
- Women’s soccer players Paige Maling and Taryn Benham were named Big Sky Offensive Player of the Week and Big Sky Defensive Player of the Week, respectively. Both of these honors are the second of each players’ career.
- Senior basketball player Khiarica Rasheed was named Big Sky Women’s Player of the Week. She also was one of 30 NCAA Division I candidates for the Senior CLASS Award, which stands for Celebrating Loyalty and Achievement for Staying in School. The award honors those who excel in the community, classroom, competition and in character.
- Distance runners Nico Young and Taryn O’Neill earned Big Sky Men’s and Women’s Cross Country Athlete of the Week Awards after their season debuts. The awards are the first in each of their running careers.
- Freshman diver Victoria Knapp received her second Western Athletic Conference Athlete of the Week award for the 2020-21 season. At the final regular season competition, Knapp finished No. 4 on the platform with a 231.45 and posted an NCAA Zone qualifying score.
- Football players Luis Aguilar, DJ Arnson and Brandon Porter were named to the HERO Sports Spring Preseason All-American team. Seniors Aguilar and Arnson have claimed the top spot for their positions and junior Porter is joined by just two other receivers.
- Aguilar also earned a spot on the Athlon FCS Preseason All-American Team as one of only three Big Sky Conference players on the team.