A suspect is in custody in connection to multiple off-campus sexual assaults, the Flagstaff Police Department has announced.
Gregory Woody, Jr., 22, of Flagstaff, was arrested Thursday, Aug. 15, after a DNA test linked him to evidence in two sexual assaults and an attempted sexual assault case. Woody was charged with two counts of sexual assault, with additional charges expected to follow. The arrest was a result of a weeklong operation conducted in downtown Flagstaff that involved six or more undercover officers.
The suspect was described in a crime alert released last week by the NAU Police Department. Several agencies assisted with the case including the Arizona Department of Public Safety, NAUPD, Prescott Police Department, Phoenix Police Department, the FBI and the Department of Homeland Security.
NAUPD would like to remind the campus community of general safety tips:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Avoid using earbuds or headphones.
- Walk or jog with a buddy or in a group.
- Avoid isolated, wooded or unlit areas.
- Utilize the University Safety Aides service for escort from one location on campus to another. This service is available between sunset and sunrise by calling (928) 523-3611.
- Sign up for NAU Alert, a free emergency text message notification for which students and employees can enroll two phone numbers.
Additional safety tips are available on NAUPD’s website.