Kudos to these faculty, staff and students
Do you have a spotlight item to share with the NAU community?
E-mail your announcements to Inside@nau.edu.
- Constance Smith, psychology professor, recently was selected as a Fellow of the Association for Psychological Sciences. Fellow status is awarded to association members who have sustained outstanding contributions to the science of psychology in the areas of research, teaching, service and application. View the full list of the association’s fellows here.
- Alice Gibb and three colleagues were featured in Science for their symposium, “Vertebrate Land Invasions—Past, Present, and Future,” presented at the 2013 Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology Annual Meeting, held in San Francisco Jan. 3-7.
Click the play button to watch the award-winning NAU mobile app commercial.
- Mary I. Dereshiwsky, professor of educational leadership, recently had her book titled, “Continual Engagement: Fostering Online Discussion,” published by the Learning Resources Network.
- Donelle Ruwe, associate professor of English, presented at the Modern Language Association in Boston on Jan. 8. Her paper, “(Mis)Reading Romantic Children’s Verse,” was part of a panel discussion on children’s poetry sponsored by the MLA Division on Children’s Literature. Ruwe discussed the structural and stylistic patterns of early children’s verse and identified ways in which this verse laid the groundwork for contemporary children’s verse.
- NAU Alumni Relations staff has earned a Bronze Award for Video PSAs and Commercial Spots from the Council for Advancement and Support of Education. Roseanne Burton, Alumni Relations coordinator, Krista Perkins, associate director of Alumni Relations, and Angele Anderfuren, lecturer in the School of Communication, created the commercial featuring the NAU mobile app. The award will be presented during the CASE district conference March 2 in San Francisco.
Several NAU student athletes earned Big Sky Conference and other honors this week:
- Track and field athlete Brian Shrader earned his second Men’s Track Athlete of the Week selection of the season after running his first sub-four minute mile at the New Mexico Invitational on Saturday.
- Men’s basketball senior guard Gabe Rogers was selected as the Big Sky Conference co-player of the week for Jan. 14-19. Rogers averaged 31.5 points per game and shot .571 percent in NAU’s matchups that week against Northern Colorado and North Dakota.
- Kasandra Vegas, senior track and field athlete, was named a semifinalist for the Coach Wooden Citizen Cup, an award presented by the nonprofit organization Athletes for a Better World.